Now available for use on Sports Turf & Bermudagrass Greens!
Cutless MEC (liquid formulation) remains the premier PGR for providing unsurpassed turf quality and Poa annua conversion in both cool- and warm-season turf. Cutless MEC consistently performs at the highest level to reduce shoot growth and clipping yield, resulting in improved aesthetics and playability. Additionally, Cutless MEC provides many plant health and stress tolerance benefits.
Enhances turf color and quality
Improves playability, striping, and overall aesthetics
Minimal impact to seed germination
No need to delay applications around interseeding. Application to overseeded turf should be avoided 14 days prior to and after seed germination.
Suppresses Dollar Spot
Outbreaks will be less severe and less frequent
Efficient, controlled Poa annua suppression and conversion
Allows for flexibility in Poa suppression and conversion aggressiveness
Reduces turfgrass water use
Preserves Earth's most previous resource... and your budget!
Does not inhibit lateral regrowth
Rapid recovery of divots, ball marks, and aerification holes.
Poa annua Conversion
The Cutless Difference
Cutless suppresses Poa annua growth more than creeping bentgrass and other desirable cool-season turfgrasses. This benefit allows turfgrass managers to shift the competitive growth advantage away from Poa annua to desirable turf with regular Cutless applications.
In comparison to paclobutrazol, Cutless provides less growth regulation of desirable turf while providing the same degree of Poa annua growth regulation, making Cutless the premier conversion tool (Figure 1; Figure 2). Cutless does not inhibit lateral growth similar to paclobutrazol (Figure 3) and allows for more rapid creep of bentgrass into Poa annua stands (Figure 4). This program provides a gradual perennial grass conversion reducing Poa annua populations over one to several growing seasons.
Temporary discoloration of Poa annua is possible with higher rates of Cutless, especially during temperature extremes.
For best results, applications should be continued through summer months when Poa annua is stressed due to temperature and other factors.
Figure 1. Maximum growth suppression of a bentgrass fairway following application of Cutless MEC and Trimmit
Cutless MEC 43 fl oz/A
Primo MAXX 22fl oz/A
Figure 2. Growth suppression of Poa annua following application of Cutless MEC and Primo MAXX.
Figure 3. Lateral regrowth of creeping bentgrass following removal of a 4.25" diameter plug and application of 16 oz/A of Cutless 50W (left) vs. 36 fl oz/A Trimmit (right).
Figure 4. Cutless MEC treated creeping bentgrass aggressively beginning to grow in or "creep" into a suppressed Poa annua stand.
Dollar Spot Suppression
The Cutless Bonus: Dollar Spot Suppression in Creeping Bentgrass
- The Cutless active ingredient is similar to pyrimidine fungicides that provide dollar spot control.
- Research has shown Cutless applications at labeled rates and application intervals can significantly reduce dollar spot incidence and populations when compared to untreated control plots (Figure 5).
- Cutless is not intended to replace labeled fungicides.
- Programmed use may result in longer or improved control of dollar spot in conjunction with conventional fungicides, leading to potential for an overall reduction in annual fungicide use.
Figure 5. Dollar spot suppression following Cutless 50W application at 6 oz/A (left) vs. nontreated (right).
Starting a Cutless Program
Cutless can be applied to actively growing cool- and warm-season turfgrasses including:
- Bentgrass greens, tees, and fairways
- Kentucky bluegrass tees and fairways
- Perennial ryegrass tees and fairways
- Seashore paspalum tees and fairways
- Bermudagrass tees and fairways
- Zoysiagrass tees and fairways
For best results:
- Apply Cutless at regular intervals to healthy, actively growing turf.
- Apply Cutless at the resumption of active growth in the spring, continue through the fall, then discontinue prior to winter dormancy.
- Water in all applications with a minimum 0.25” of irrigation, since Cutless is primarily root absorbed.
- Enjoy reduced clipping production and mowing frequency!
A Cutless program is easy to start, simply…
- Select the proper rate and reapplication interval for your turf species and area.
- After the initial application adjust the application rate by 2 fl oz/acre (MEC) or 0.65 oz/acre (50W) up or down each subsequent application until the desired level of growth regulation is achieved.
Bermudagrass Greens Tech Sheet
See why Cutless MEC is the best available solution for Bermudagrass:
Download Tech Sheet